Basketball Recruiting

Syracuse basketball recruiting: Division III guard Braedon Bayer will walk on at SU

Braedon Bayer, a guard who previously played for Division III Grinnell College, will walk on to the Syracuse basketball team this season, an SU Athletics spokesman confirmed to The Daily Orange on Friday afternoon.

Bayer is the second known walk-on addition for the 2016-17 season along with Syracuse center Paschal Chukwu’s host brother, Ray Featherston. Bayer played for Grinnell for two years (he’s listed as a junior in the SU student directory) and scored 10.7 points per game in 15.7 minutes per contest while playing 25 games as a freshman. He shot 43.9 percent from the field and 30.7 percent from 3-point range. He also chipped in 4.4 assists per game and 2.8 rebounds per contest.

In his sophomore year, he only played in nine games, but averaged 15.9 minutes and 11.2 points. Bayer started seven of his 34 career games at Grinnell.

Bayer attended the Trinity Pawling School prior to college and in 2012-13 played for the Albany City Rocks AAU team, which has produced Syracuse players like current center Dajuan Coleman and former Orange James Southerland and Andy Rautins. Jim Boeheim’s son, Jimmy, currently plays for the City Rocks as well.

He does not appear on the 2015-16 Grinnell roster but does appear in that season’s statistics log. He is listed as 6 feet, 4 inches and 185 pounds on the 2014-15 roster.

He becomes another walk-on addition to a Syracuse team that still has two open scholarships for the upcoming season. The current scholarship players includes redshirt seniors Dajuan Coleman and John Gillon, senior Tyler Roberson, redshirt sophomore Paschal Chukwu, sophomores Tyler Lydon and Frank Howard and freshmen Tyus Battle, Taurean Thompson and Matthew Moyer.