UNIVERSITY LECTURE

NPR host David Greene talks journalism ethics, changing communications industry at University Lecture

Mackenzie Huber | Contributing Photographer

David Greene, host of NPR's "Morning Edition," spoke at Hendricks Chapel Tuesday night.

Despite the intensifying political climate in the United States, David Greene said he has maintained his values of honest, unbiased journalism.

As the host of National Public Radio’s “Morning Edition,” Greene reports on everything from entertainment and celebrities to politics and world news. He describes his audience as “incredibly politically diverse,” but does not let the opinions of his listeners, or his own, disrupt him from producing factual content free of judgement, he said.

On Tuesday night, the journalist spoke to Syracuse University students and faculty as part of the University Lecture series in Hendricks Chapel. Greene explained how his values have remained constant throughout his career as a journalist, even as the communications industry has changed.

Greene, a graduate of Harvard University, has a long-standing career with NPR. He now hosts his morning show as well as a podcast, “Up First,” with co-hosts Steve Inskeep and Rachel Martin. He has extensively covered politics throughout his career — and on his show. Politics also dominated his conversation with political science professor Grant Reeher on Tuesday.

Greene pointed out how more focus has been placed on journalists in the past year, throughout the era of “fake news,” and how that focus might make his job seem more important today with more attention and pressure.

“I don’t think the importance of our work has changed,” he said, though. “I truly believe journalism is a pillar of democracy.”

He does worry about social media’s impact on news, Greene said, adding that “news” from Twitter or Facebook does not necessarily classify as news, because it could be altered or simply rumor, in his opinion. He said it is difficult watching people get hooked by fake news stories, as a journalist who strives to create quality work.

“What worries me is when people are getting what they think is news from places that are not real news organizations,” Greene said.

He added that sources on social media affect the definition of what news is and what is considered a news organization.

If Congress were to look further into how social media platforms spread fake news, Greene said he would be interested in following the debate. Greene said he would not support the government telling people what they can and cannot look at, but he wants to remind the public where to find trustworthy information.

Greene said he recognizes the importance of himself and his colleagues communicating honestly about events. As a political journalist, Greene said he has previously experienced backlash from politicians about his reporting.

He said it is the job of a journalist “to report the truth and challenge government officials to recognize the truth.”